Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:06:54 +0000 (UTC)

In article <44lih0p16h.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>,
Lowell Gilbert  <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Just leave your Emacs running and then connect to it with emacsclient
>>> when you want to see the result.
>>>

>>>         Stefan
>>
>> Not a choice if you started emacs via e.g., ssh.
>>
>> I really miss this feature.  Turn running emacs into a daemon.  I'll bet
>> it's
>> not that hard to implement this.
>
>You can always use emacs' daemon option (which has been around for a few
>years now), but as far as I can see, you need to start it that way up
>front. Stefan Monnier's approach seems to allow you to detach from a
>running emacs started without that option.
>
>I use the daemon mode quite often; in fact, these days I rarely run
>emacs without it.

It'd be really useful to *lots* of us (I think) if, right here in
this very thread, you guys could followup with posts that could
later be put together into a tutorial on emacs-as-daemon:

. What benefits come from deamonizing emacs -- what kinds of
  things can you do (easily) only when emacs is sitting there
  as a daemon.

. a little ascii picture (or instructions for drawing one
  on paper) of how the thing works, how it's used.

. (Note: in both emacs and elisp *info* tbl of contents, no mention
   of either daemon or demon.)

. How to it up as a daemon.

. How to actually use it in one of its uses.

Thanks so much!

Looks like a pretty cool feature, but I have ZERO idea of how
(or why) I'd use it, benefit from it.

Also, an explanation of what's behind this statement:

   >I use the daemon mode quite often; in fact, these days I rarely run
   >emacs without it.

THANK YOU!

David