Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:56:04 -0400

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> . (Note: in both emacs and elisp *info* tbl of contents, no mention
>    of either daemon or demon.)

The node is called "Emacs Server" and includes the basic description:
"once an Emacs server is started, you can use a shell command called
`emacsclient' to connect to the Emacs process and tell it to visit a
file."

If that was hard to find, then you probably would be helped more by
learning about "Info-search", which is bound to 's' in Info mode.

> In article <44lih0p16h.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>,
> Lowell Gilbert  <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>>
>>You can always use emacs' daemon option (which has been around for a few
>>years now), but as far as I can see, you need to start it that way up
>>front. Stefan Monnier's approach seems to allow you to detach from a
>>running emacs started without that option.
>>
>>I use the daemon mode quite often; in fact, these days I rarely run
>>emacs without it.
>
> It'd be really useful to *lots* of us (I think) if, right here in
> this very thread, you guys could followup with posts that could
> later be put together into a tutorial on emacs-as-daemon:
>
> . What benefits come from deamonizing emacs -- what kinds of
>   things can you do (easily) only when emacs is sitting there
>   as a daemon.

There are lots of things that are useful about it. A big one for me is
being to able to open up windows from the same emacs; e.g., I can log
into work from home and connect to the same emacs instance that I left
at the office. Commands that open editors for you (anything for which
you set the EDITOR environment variable or its like) will use the
existing emacs rather than starting up a new process.

Beyond that, I'll let you read the documentation first and see what's
still unclear after that.

Good luck.