Re: Emacs and Java

From: Francesco Mazzoli
Subject: Re: Emacs and Java
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:27:31 +0100

At Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:53:47 +0800,
Leo wrote:
> Writing java in emacs is only better than writing it in notepad.  Probably why
> some veteran emacs hackers leave emacs for IDEs if they have to hack java day
> in and day out! You can customise the hell out of emacs and it will never even
> come close to any good java IDE. Emacs simply doesn't understand java or
> understand it in a retarded way (i.e.  it can do some code completion with a
> speed nobody can tolerate).

There is no reason whatsoever why this has to be the case, emacs has excellent
support (either out of the box or via third party packages) for most languages.
The problem is that most people just give up and use big IDEs, which I truly
loathe - I'd rather code in the current emacs setup than in an IDE.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt