Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:02:53 +0200

Am 18.09.2012 um 16:05 schrieb Peter:

> I had set both the PATH environment variable and the exec-path variable in
> emacs, but somehow, emacs shell was using something else. Anyone know where
> that path comes from?

Two sources. First it inherits it from the environment which launches GNU Emacs
– in Mac OS X this is not really something useful (because you should play with
the apps and not work hard on the command line).  Second it's the RC files that
set up the shell environment. Depending on the kind of shell used they have
different names (~/.login, ~/.(t)cshrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, …) and depending
on the character of the shell (log-in or not) different sorts of files are used
for its initialisation. Finally you have control with ~/.emacs_<shell's name>.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it does exist, it's out of date.