Re: emacsclientw on w64

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacsclientw on w64
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:54:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, 1 October 2012 02:37:10 UTC+8, B. T. Raven  wrote:

> No socket or alternate editor. Please use:
>
> EMACS_SERVER_FILE
> and

There is no "and" here.

> ALTERNATE_EDITOR-FILE

> (either user or system environment variables)

> I think I want ALTERNATE_EDITOR=c:\emacs\bin\runemacs --debug-init
> but I'm not sure. Can runemacs.exe take switches like emacs.exe?  What
> EMACS_SERVER_FILE should be set to I don't know.

runemacs.exe passes its command-line to emacs.exe, so command line switches
should work.

Don't set EMACS_SERVER_FILE at all unless you customized server-name in Emacs.
The error message does not explicitly state it, but you only need to do one of
the things it is suggesting to resolve the problem of emacsclient not
communicating with emacs. ALTERNATE_EDITOR will always work, EMACS_SERVER_FILE
will work if a different server-name is the cause of the problem.