Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Wally Lepore
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 17:41:56 -0400

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM,  <v.plechinger@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you just started with C or programming in general, don't waste your
> time searching for a featureful IDE.
> Just start coding, it's better to learn a new language without learning
> a new editor at the same time.
> You probably, also can skip using a debugger at the beginning.
>
> Have fun with emacs

Thank you v.plechinger. Yes I understand. Most of the pre-bundled
IDE's I have looked at are quite simple to install (i.e. code::blocks,
lcc-win32, Pelles C and Code Lite) and easy to navigate.

However I'm simply looking to better understand what each tool
actually accomplishes in a full featured "separate tool" IDE rather
than simply allowing the pre-bundled IDE packages (i.e. Code::Blocks,
Code Lite etc.) to accomplish most tasks automatically for me.

Code::Blocks and Code Lite are certainly great products but I simply
wanted to know what the  "separate tool" route would encompass versus
the one-in-all packages.

The "separate tool" component IDE that Eli recommended is exactly what
I was searching for. Perhaps I will install the most basic of the
mentioned tools (emacs and MinGW) and then install the additional
tools as I progress.

Yes you are correct when you say, "Just start coding". Let me not
forget my goal!

Thank you for your suggestions.