Diff could also show the changes within lines

From: Tom
Subject: Diff could also show the changes within lines
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:37:07 +0000 (UTC)

When doing diffs it often occurs to me the diff output could be
more readable if it showed the actual changes within lines.

Something like this (I mean the concept, the actual implemenation shown
may not be the best output which can be achieved), so you don't have to
search for the changes within the line:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1265949/multiple-changes-in-one-line-with-diff-
tool/1266114#1266114

It doesn't even necessarily need support from the external diff tool,
because diffs are usually not huge, so the highlighting of the changes
could be done in lisp by parsing the diff output.

Has anyone tried improving diff like this? Is there a package which does
this?