Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:00:54 -0400

On 10/4/2012 12:48 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:

Text Editor: emacs
GUI Builder: GTK+2 or Glade
Compiler: MinGW
Debugger: ?

gdb

Linker: ?
Standard "C" Library: ?

come with Windows

At some point, you want to get 'make', which automates the compile/link steps. Any serious project needs a build program.

~~

This is heresy on an emacs list (hence the private email), but I don't think emacs is a very good debugger. I certainly use it for all my editing in all languages, but not for debugging.

On Windows, I use either Eclipse or MS Visual C++. Both have a learning curve and some setup for each project, but then they work well.

On Linux, I use ddd (a GUI front end to gdb.) The UI isn't as polished as the Windows programs, but it requires zero configuration.