Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Tima
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 22:43:56 -0700

On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:17 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Tima wrote:
>> The programming feature I miss most in emacs is the code browsing:
>> jump to the definition of a method, function, class, variable, and
>> jump back to the original position. I tried to configure CEDET to do
>> this, but have not succeeded so far.
>
> I have always used TAGs tables created using the etags comand for
> this.  Then M-. , C-x 5 . and so forth.

Yes, I used TAGs in the past. Well documented in the emacs manual and works as
expected.

I remember it could not always find the definition though. I think to get on
par with what people called "IDE" the tag system has to understand the language
semantics. And this, as Jai said,  is indeed what Semantic (a part of CEDET)
claims to do.  I was wondering whether it is the state of the art or there is a
simpler and better successor.

--Tima