Has anyone implemented DBGp for GUD?

From: MBR
Subject: Has anyone implemented DBGp for GUD?
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:48:12 -0400

Speaking of Emacs vs. IDEs, I used GDB in Emacs (and later GUD when it came along) for debugging C and C++ back in the 1980s and 1990s, and I greatly prefer that to debugging using modern GUI IDEs like Eclipse.

For the past several years I've been writing PHP code without any debugger.  But although PHP's var_dump() is much handier than C's printf(), there are still times I'd like to be able to single-step through PHP code or set breakpoints in PHP.

I've installed Xdebug, which allows the PHP interpreter to speak DBGp protocol.  And the Xdebug website recommends a number of clients that also speak DBGp, but most of them are GUI IDEs, and I'd really rather debug inside Emacs.  The one Emacs package they suggest is something called "geben".  I've tried it out, but it has a bunch of things I consider mis-features.  I'd really rather be able to debug PHP with GUD.

Has anyone tried to extend GUD to understand DBGp protocol?  Is there any technical reason it couldn't be done?
Mark Rosenthal
mbr@arlsoft.com