RE: IDE versus emacs

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: IDE versus emacs
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:48:17 +0000

I recently discovered that CYGWIN delivers "Exuberant Ctags" (Yes, etags too.)
and it is used instead of emacs' etags. (GPL, available at
http://ctags.sourceforge.net.)

Exuberant Ctags can be extended to look for other things via regular
expression. It is a wonderful thing!

I can now look for tags in my shell code to by running:
    etags --langdef=shell --regex-shell='/function
[_[:alnum:]]+/[_[:alnum:]]+/' --language-force=shell
(Unfortunate side-effect: That can also pick up comments, so I also have to fix
things:
    sed -n -e '/#/d' -ep < TAGS > TTT && mv TTT TAGS
Oh, well.)
Shell programming is suddenly almost pleasant!

,Doug