Re: visual line mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: visual line mode
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:30:57 +0200

drain <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is it possibly that you still have visual-line-mode in some hooks?
>> What you describe sounds like global-visual-line-mode first turns on
>> VLM in your draft buffer, and then your hook turns it off again (or
>> the other way round).
>
> Not that I am aware of. When you launch compose-mail with
> global-visual-line mode (merely to reproduce my conditions), does it
> work for you?

Ah, ok.  When I do:

  1. emacs -Q
  2. M-x global-visual-line-mode
  3. M-x compose-mail RET

I get an *unsent mail* buffer in message-mode.  `visual-line-mode' is
indeed active, but message-mode also activates `auto-fill-mode' which
automatically inserts hard line breaks after 72 chars by default.

So basically, you could add

  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)

to have `visual-line-mode' work as expected in message-mode.  But do you
really want to send such badly formatted mail?

Bye,
Tassilo