Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Sohail Somani
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:27:47 -0400

On 19/10/2012 3:55 AM, Steinar Bang wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

At least in C and C++, tags never miss a definition for me.  My only
problem with tags is that they sometimes show me more definitions
other than what I had in mind that match the symbol I type, either
because of case insensitivity or because of partial matches.

Can tags filter out those symbols that would match what you're typing,
but aren't reachable from the point in the code where you are typing?

No. tags is mostly horrible. I can only use it for finding definitions and even that, only sometimes. Modern C++ codebases (lots of templates) just do not do well with tags.