Re: Handling large files with Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Handling large files with Emacs
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 07:52:58 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> That's ridiculously small.  I routinely edit files approaching 500MB
> without any problems, and that's on a 32-bit machine, whereas yours is
> a 64-bit one.  So something is seriously wrong with your system, or
> maybe with the Emacs binary (but I can hardly believe it).

I think it's because syntax highlight or something. When I try opening
SQL dumps (say, 200MB) then Emacs grinds to a halt for a minute or
so, and moving in the file is very slow even after that.

If I don't use an .sql extension, so that the file is not opened
in SQL mode then it's much better. So opening big files in fundamental
mode works well, but if it has its own mode with syntax highlighting
then it's pretty much unusable.

I think Fab has a similar problem, because he opens the big file
in Bibtex mode which also does it's own stuff, parsing the buffer
with regexps for syntax highlighting, or something like this.