Re: Handling large files with Emacs

From: Fab
Subject: Re: Handling large files with Emacs
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:19:29 +0200

>> I had to work with a vast bibTeX file today and Emacs almost died and
>> got super slow, which made working with Emacs impossible.
>
> Sounds like a performance bug in bibtex-mode.  Please M-x
> report-emacs-bug, ideally with a sample large bibtex file and a recipe
> showing exactly which operation(s) get slow.
>

>         Stefan

Thank you all for the excellent feedback!

The first thing that came to my mind was font-lock.  However, disabling
font-lock did not solve my problem, so I decided to ask here.  After Eli's
response from yesterday, I started to debug my init file.  It actually
was all my mistake and I was not aware the linum.el caused all the
trouble!  In fact, I do not really need this minor-mode but I never
really disabled it from my init file.  After doing so, I have absolutely
no problem with editing the vast bibTeX file, even with font-lock.  I
have also created a huge ASCII file of approx 500MB and it is no problem
to edit the file.

Thank you!
Fab