Re: Using lisp code in emacs inside a C program

From: gnuist007
Subject: Re: Using lisp code in emacs inside a C program
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 25, 11:00 pm, William Gardella <gardell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rivka Miller <rivkaumil...@gmail.com> writes:
> > \begin{quotation}
> > ECL (ECL for short) uses standard C calling conventions for Lisp
> > compiled functions, which allows C programs to easily call Lisp
> > functions and vice versa. No foreign function interface is required:
> > data can be exchanged between C and Lisp with no need for conversion.
> > \end{quotation}
>
> > How did ECL achieve this?

> Not to oversimplify too much, but a compiled ECL function *is* a C
> function.  The Debian description of the package lists among its
> features:
>
> > ECL stands for Embeddable Common-Lisp. The ECL project is an effort to
> > modernize Giuseppe Attardi's ECL environment to produce an implementation of
> > the Common-Lisp language which complies to the ANSI X3J13 definition of the
> > language.
> > The current ECL implementation features:
> > * A bytecodes compiler and interpreter.
> > * A translator to C.
>
> So it's like similar initiatives for Pascal, FORTRAN, etc.--the end
> result is a C program that you can poke at with tools designed to work
> with C (binutils, gdb, etc.) and which can communicate natively with C
> functions.  I've not used it and have heard mixed reviews (mostly on
> #emacs) about its performance relative to other compiled CL
> implementations.  But if what you need is Lisp inside C, it seems this
> is your bet--it can even be used to make C shared libraries, it looks
> like.
>
> Chicken, being an R5RS-to-C compiler, has similar aspirations for the
> world of Scheme.

You didnt answer her question on the computer science of translation,
code flow graphing, or any useful aspect than advertising your Chicken
and she posted only on this newsgroup, while I wanted it to be in the
related newsgroups. Maybe someone can give the pertinent referenecs to
key useful papers.