Re: How does the Meta/Alt-Key work behind the scenes?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: How does the Meta/Alt-Key work behind the scenes?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:24:04 +0100

>> However, I was told to hardcode the Meta/Alt-Keybindings as ESC-key
>> sequences, e.g. '^[', wait 500, then 'f', so that they can either be
>> used as 'ALT-f' or as 'ESC f'. But only the latter (very uncomfortable)
>> option works for me, and any keybindings that include the SHIFT key
>> don't work at all.
>
> What does "don't work" mean?

Maybe I asked to early since further testing revealed that it is not a
general problem but a problem of some keys only:

When I use 'C-%' (^% = C-S-5 on my keyboard) which should execute the
command 'go to next parenthesis' then in xterm '%' is (self)inserted, on
the console nothing happens. But 'C-_' (^_ = C-S-- on my keyboard)
executes 'undo' as expected in xterm and on the console.

So I would like to withdraw my question for now - sorry for the noise.

--
cheers,
Thorsten