Re: How to set 'buffer-save-without-query' from external program?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How to set 'buffer-save-without-query' from external program?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 13:53:17 -0500

In article <mailman.12642.1352481549.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > You should be able to use (set-buffer-modified-p nil) to
> > > prevent such checks.
> >
> > But I want the buffer to be reverted and saved - only without being
> > queried. Would this still happen if I set the set-buffer-modified-p
> > flag to nil?
>
> Sorry, I don't have the time right now to get into it.
> Hopefully someone else can help more.
>
> But "revert and save" doesn't mean much to me.
> After reverting there is no need to save.
>
> Setting the modified-p flag just pretends that you have not modified the
> buffer.
> So you get no queries about wanting to save it.
>
> If you instead do want to save it, then just save it, systematically.

He's reverting the buffer, editing it, and then he wants to exit the
server without saving it. But he still plans on saving it later.

But if he marks it not-modified, when he goes back to the buffer it
won't let him save it -- it will say "no changes need to be saved".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA