Re: Calling emacsclient

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Calling emacsclient
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:03:28 -0500

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:
> Question:
> How do I get the behaviour described in the manual: "If this
> option [-s] is omitted, emacsclient connects to the first server it
> finds." ?

Based on my own experience, that passage you quoted from (info "(emacs)
emacsclient Options") is just plain incorrect.  Emacsclient run without
-s simply expects the server to be named the default server name,
`server'.  It fails if it can't find this server, or fails over to
starting up emacs --daemon if run with -a "" or an ALTERNATE_EDITOR=""
environment.  The emacsclient manpage, btw, holds out no such hope that
the "first server it finds" thing referenced in the Info manual will
work.

I'm writing up a bug report against the Info manual.

One possibility would be to use the emacsclient -s option together with
a shell wildcard, e.g.:

emacsclient -c -s /tmp/emacs1000/*

works, whatever the name of the socket inside /tmp/emacs1000/ is.  So
you could use that trick with the value of your `server-socket-dir'
variable.  If you're going to often have multiple emacs daemons, you
should probably give them persistent names based on their role.

Best,
WGG
--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)