Re: Emacs vs Scrivener

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs vs Scrivener
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 00:42:46 +0400

drain <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone tried out Scrivener? I'm curious if does anything (substantive)
> that Emacs cannot do.

To add another unsatisfying answer to the bunch, I'm almost certain that
yes, it does. Junding from the screenshots, it features a more
visual-oriented interface that should be more comfortable for
non-programmers.

For example, this view looks like something that would be hard to
replicate with what Emacs provides currently:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/gfx/ScrivShots/win-write_structure_revise-lg.jpg

On the other hand, if you know what you're doing, Emacs has tools for
managing notes, cross-references, etc, that many people find sufficient.
See Org mode, for example.

--Dmitry