Emacs snapshot: free variable warning

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Emacs snapshot: free variable warning
Date: 23 Nov 2012 12:11:17 GMT

Hi all,

After a recent Emacs update (I'm following Damien Cassou's Emacs
snapshot packages at <https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/emacs>) one
of my init files started giving me a free variable warning that I never
got before:

```
.emacs.d/mu4e-settings.el:Warning: reference to free variable
    `offlineimap-buffer-name'
```

The warning results from a defadvice:

```
(defadvice mu4e-quit (around jk-quit-offlineimap () activate)
  "Quit OfflineIMAP when quitting mu4e."
  (interactive)
  ad-do-it
  (signal-process (get-buffer-process (get-buffer offlineimap-buffer-name))
'SIGUSR2))
```

If I comment out this defadvice, the warning goes away.

Anyone know why I'm suddenly getting this warning? It's true that the
variable hasn't been defined yet when the code is loaded, but I have a
defun in the same file which also references this variable but doesn't
produce any warning. Besides, I'm used to getting warnings like this
when compiling code, but not when it's simply loaded...

If it is intentional (and not some bug introduced with a recent change
to Emacs) is there a way to code the defadvice so that I don't get the
warning?

TIA

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com