Re: OS question intimately related to my use of Emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: OS question intimately related to my use of Emacs
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:30:39 +0100

Am 29.11.2012 um 02:30 schrieb B. T. Raven:

> I would rather put it in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

This is the system's file. It will be overwritten at next system update. The
same for the system's Xmodmap file. Better ask the maintainers of your
distribution!

> I also read about an xinitrc.d file in this
> subdirectory but I'm not sure if that's used only in other distros.

~/xinitrc.d is a directory with files à la

        11-fontpath.sh  50-clients.sh   96-fluxbox.sh   97-blackbox.sh
98-openbox.sh   99-quartz-wm.sh 99-twm.sh

In my case I correct the X11 server's font path setting and launch the X
clients. By giving one of the window managers related files the lowest
numerical value I can decide which WM will launch.

If you don't know whether your X server can read ~/xinitrc.d and execute the
files contained in it, you can just try…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Upgraded, adj.: