RE: Working Around for cl-count

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Working Around for cl-count
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 22:48:13 -0800

> > "GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
> > : (count 2 (number-sequence 1 22)
> >          :key (apply-partially 'gcd 4))
> > 6
>
> Yes, it works.  Using unprefixed cl functions is
> is all sorts of deprecated, though, hence the recommendation.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure exactly what WJ's point is, but NO, `count' is not at all
deprecated in Emacs 23.4, the version that WJ shows.

It is not even deprecated in 24.1 or 24.2!

`cl-lib.el', hence `cl-count', does not even exist yet, in any Emacs release!
It is being declared deprecated in the current pretest version of Emacs, which
will lead to release 24.3.

There is nothing wrong with thinking ahead.  But the OP made clear that his code
is intended for multiple Emacs versions (presumably including future releases),
and there is not yet ANY released version where `cl-count' even exists.  And WJ
specifically noted use of release 23.4.