Re: Understanding Word Boundaries

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Understanding Word Boundaries
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:11:01 -0700

On 6/26/10, Paul Drummond <paul.drummond@iode.co.uk> wrote:
> I wish there was a single minor-mode that fixes all the word boundary issues
> for every major-mode I use!  I can but dream.   Or maybe I will get round to
> doing it myself one day!  ;)

I have been using Emacs for decades, but I have not gotten used to its
navigation, killing, and marking boundary assumptions yet.

I'm always fixing up whitespace, going back and deleting less so as
not to delete punctuation, wanting the whole word or only part of it,
etc.  I think Emacs does the wrong thing somewhat more than it does
the right thing in this case.  Or maybe that is because it is more
noticeable when it does the wrong thing.

I keep thinking I should have gotten used to it by now.  :)

Given the great libraries out there for other things (e.g. scrolling),
you'd think there might be a customizable library for different
preferences for all syntax levels,  perhaps based on thingatpt.

Did you find anything, Paul?

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.