Re: How close is elisp to CL now?

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: Re: How close is elisp to CL now?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 23:26:36 +0100

William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com> writes:

> Burton Samograd <burton@samograd.ca> writes:

> Also, for Gnus specifically, emacs --batch jobs combined with using Gnus
> in "Unplugged" mode is a good setup for background mail checking and
> fast, non-blocking reading.  See (info "(gnus) Batching Agents"); I run
> a script similar to the one there as an hourly cron job, then read
> offline.

Let me get this straight : you have Gnus running unplugged and another
emacs instance is fetching messages with a cron job ? And the unplugged
Gnus refreshes its group with gnus-demon-add-handler ?

That could be the solution I've been looking for for a while. I guess
one could use this trick for any long process in Emacs (synchronization
through org-mobile-push comes to mind)

Julien.