RE: Incremental search don't append wrongly typed characters

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Incremental search don't append wrongly typed characters
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:14:08 -0800

> How can I [get] this behaviour:
>  Start incremental search and search for "keyz"
>  "key" is displayed in the search echo area and the "key"
>  part in "keywords" is higlighted
>  Press s
>  "keys" is found and highlited

I don't have an answer for you, but the suggestion is an interesting one.

A variant that could be useful (which I also don't have a recipe for):

Type `keyz'.
The `z' is highlighted as a mismatch (this is already available).
Hit a key to delete the mismatched part (in this case, just `z'.
Type `s' and continue.

When I introduced highlighting of the mismatch part, I took it from Icicles
highlighting of completion input mismatch.  There, you can hit `C-l' twice to
remove the mismatched part.  (The first `C-l' just moves the cursor to the
mismatch beginning, so you can insert there.)

In Isearch there is no equivalent - no key that removes the mismatched part.
Maybe I'll add that possibility.  What you can do is hit `M-e', which puts you
in editing mode and moves the cursor to the mismatch beginning.  Then hit `C-k'
to kill the mismatch portion, then `C-s' to resume searching.  So `M-e C-k C-s'.