read-from-minibuffer & match data

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: read-from-minibuffer & match data
Date: 18 Dec 2012 20:06:50 GMT

Hi,

The other day I started experiencing a problem with code that has been
working just fine for about nine months now. Turns out the problem was
caused by read-from-minibuffer changing the match data. (Basically, I
had a call to read-from-minibuffer after calling string-match and before
calling replace-match.)

Since this code has been working fine for nine months for me and I
haven't had any complaints from others using the code, and since I keep
up-to-date with emacs snapshot releases, I suspect a recent change to
emacs caused this problem.

So now I'm wondering: has there been a recent change to
read-from-minibuffer (or code underlying it) that causes the match data
to change and if so, should this be considered a bug? Or is
read-from-minibuffer simply not guaranteed not to touch the match data,
meaning there is a bug in my code and I have just been lucky that this
hasn't bitten me before?

I've put a save-match-data into the function to solve the issue, but I'd
just like to make sure this isn't a bug in emacs.

TIA

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)