RE: read-from-minibuffer & match data

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: read-from-minibuffer & match data
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:07:08 -0800

> > I've put a save-match-data into the function to solve the
> > issue, but I'd just like to make sure this isn't a bug in emacs.
>
> No, you've just been lucky until now.  The general rule is that any
> function is liable to thrash the match-data, except for some
> exceptions, most of which are primitives such as car/cdr/aset/aref,
> match-string, etc...

That is the general rule, yes, and it is appropriate.

But is it a reason that `read-from-minibuffer' should start thrashing the
match-data, if it has not done so in the past?

That was the point, I think: to make sure that Emacs Dev is aware of this
change.  If it is intentional, that's one thing; if not, perhaps it
represents/indicates a bug somewhere.

But I guess you are implicitly confirming that you have checked and the
thrashing is necessary or at least intentional.