Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:35:08 +0200

> From: Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:44:46 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Not exactly due to portability problems, but due to the fact that
> > there are so many broken ports of 'find' and 'xargs', at least for
> > Windows, out there.
>
> Why not use findstr on Windows then?

If you mean by default, then the reason is that findstr is very weak
and incompatible (or non-existent) on older versions of Windows.  One
can customize Emacs to use it, of course.

(My personal reason for not using findstr is that I don't want to
learn yet another tool with yet another set of incompatible options.
But that's me.)