Re: undoing define-key

From: jpkotta
Subject: Re: undoing define-key
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 08:05:53 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:45:49 PM UTC-6, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > ;; Now M-[ijkl] act like the arrow keys
>
> > ;; I can do an isearch and they will exit the search just like the arrows
>

> > (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "M-j") nil)
>

> > ;; Now M-j does not exit isearch, and it behaves like whatever it was
>
> > ;; bound to outside of foo-mode.  M-j still does left-char outside of
>
> > ;; isearch-mode.
>

> And what behavior would you want instead?
>

>         Stefan

I wanted to reclaim some keys that were set in isearch-mode-map, and I wanted
to do it by making sure they were undefined, so that another keymap would
override them.  To be clear, these keys were bound by a 3rd party library, not
by default.

It appears to be something special in isearch-mode.  I thought M-[ijkl] were
unbound, but they're actually bound to isearch-other-meta-char.  If I bind to
that, then everything works as intended.