Re: Overriding switch to *scratch* buffer after creating new frame with

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Overriding switch to *scratch* buffer after creating new frame with 'emacsclient -c'
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:52:31 +0100

>> add an appropriate customization type for `initial-buffer-choice'
> I don't think that it's will be useful for users to customise, but who
> knows...

`initial-buffer-choice' _is_ an option specified via `defcustom' in
startup.el.  We cannot implicitly ignore this fact in `command-line-1'.
But we could, for example, allow a function here and you could specify a
function to provide the buffer of your choice here.

> Here the scenario:
> I want new frames to switch to some buffer so I added hook to
> `after-make-frame-functions'.
> Inside this hook I do `(switch-to-buffer <some-buffer>)' the window on this
> frame is switched to that <some-buffer> at first, but after a short time
> it's
> switched to *scratch*. So as I think it would be better that
> `after-make-frame-functions' will be called after this 'default switching to
> *scratch* behaviour' is performed.

I'm afraid that this would mean a quite intrusive change to the sequence
of operations performed by the startup code.  Are there any reasons why
you can't use `emacs-startup-hook' or `term-setup-hook' instead?

> And than will be no need for me to
> add code to server.el.
> // New version:
>           (unless (or files commands)
>             (let ((type (type-of initial-buffer-choice))
>                   (buf "*scratch*"))
>               (cond
>                ((eq 'string type) (setq buf (find-file-noselect
> initial-buffer-choice)))
>                ((eq 'buffer type) (when (buffer-live-p
> initial-buffer-choice)
>                                     (setq buf initial-buffer-choice))))
>               (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create buf) 'norecord)))

Looks good to me.

martin