Re: Strange font used for Cyrillic characters

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Strange font used for Cyrillic characters
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:01:28 +0100

Am 20.12.2012 um 22:40 schrieb Андрей Парамонов:

> It seems really strange that Numbus got higher than say FreeMono which is
> system default. I'm not sure I can even submit a helpful bug report as I
> have very weak understanding about how fontconfig is supposed to work :-/

It's obviously not a setup problem, I think. It looks more like there is
initially on a debian install no monospaced font to provide Cyrillic characters
(Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Mongolian?) – or you've missed to
install support for Russian. After installing Linux Libertine you have Cyrillic
monospaced characters and so libfontconfig recommends to use Libertine.

Other options are the GNU Freefonts and particularly DejaVu (based on Bitstream
Vera), or the RedHat/Fedora Liberation fonts.

> Anyway, Emacs "must be above suspicion".

This gives a good feeling…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been
a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel,
grasping and unintelligent.
                                – H. L. Mencken