Re: Strange font used for Cyrillic characters

From: cmr . pent
Subject: Re: Strange font used for Cyrillic characters
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 04:55:36 -0800 (PST)

пятница, 21 декабря 2012 г., 13:10:02 UTC+4 пользователь Jason Rumney написал:
> On Friday, 21 December 2012 03:10:07 UTC+8, cmr....@gmail.com  wrote:
>

> > Below is the output for C-u C-x =
>

> >             character: З (displayed as З) (codepoint 1047, #o2027, #x417)
>

> >     preferred charset: mule-unicode-0100-24ff (Unicode characters of the
> > range U+0100..U+24FF.)
>

> This is suspicious.  The mule-unicode-* psuedo-charsets are obsolete since
> Emacs 23. Perhaps it is some left over customization from a pre-Unicode
> version of Emacs?  On both Windows and Ubuntu, I get:
>

>     preferred charset: cyrillic-iso8859-5
>
>                      (Right-Hand Part of ISO/IEC 8859/5 (Latin/Cyrillic):
> ISO-IR-144)

Please note I got the above with emacs -Q.

And I believe DejaVu fonts do cover Cyrillics, at least Russian subset. In all
other programs (firefox, gnome-terminal) the same font was used for Cyrillics
as for Latin letters, out-of-the-box.

For the record, I could reproduce the same behavior with Debian Emacs 23.

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov