Re: upgrade nonsensifies fill-paragraph

From: ken
Subject: Re: upgrade nonsensifies fill-paragraph
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 07:57:37 -0500

On 12/31/2012 02:07 AM Jason Rumney wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 December 2012 02:15:10 UTC+8, ken  wrote:

The problem, I believe, has to do with emacs' definition of what
signifies the end of a paragraph.  But I couldn't find any such
definition.  Any help?

What is the major mode for the buffer? Is it the same as in Emacs
21.4 previously, or different?

You ask a good question. Yes, it's the same and it's called html-helper-mode. In both versions I loaded/visited html files/buffers which then became subject to this hook in my ~/.emacs:

(autoload 'html-helper-mode "html-helper-mode" "Yay HTML" t)

Current version is: GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2012-12-14.

I thought that perhaps in this newer version there was some minor mode loaded by default (automatically, without my intention) which caused the change of behavior.

Output from "C-h m" for current emacs version (redacted for brevity):

Enabled minor modes:  Abbrev Auto-Compression Auto-Fill Blink-Cursor
Delete-Selection Desktop-Save Encoded-Kbd File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock
Global-Font-Lock Line-Number Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Pc-Selection
Shell-Dirtrack Show-Paren Tool-Bar Tooltip Unify-8859-On-Encoding
Utf-Translate-Cjk

(Information about these minor modes follows the major mode info.)

HTML helper mode:
Mode for editing HTML documents.

The main function html-helper-mode provides is a menu and keybindings
for the HTML tags one inserts when writing HTML documents. Selecting
the menu item or typing the key sequence for a command inserts the
corresponding tag and places point in the right place. If a prefix
argument is supplied, the tags is instead wrapped around the region.
Alternately, one can type in part of the tag and complete it with M-TAB.

There is also code for indentation, timestamps, skeletons for new
documents, and lots of other neat features.

Uses :`visual-basic-mode' (optional - see below ) for ASP and VBScript
      `easymenu' for menu creation
      `cc-mode'  for javascript support
      `tempo'    for templates

Supports server (actually ASP & PHP, JSP) and client
(JavaScript, VBScript) scripting

Customizable flags you would like to alter

`html-helper-mode-uses-visual-basic' : non nil requires visual-basic-mode and activates ASP and VBScript support functions `html-helper-mode-uses-bold-italic' : non nil creates a bold italic face (could fail if there's not such face available) `html-helper-mode-uses-KG-style' : nil to make Emacs consider PHP/JSP/ASP code blocks beginning in the first colum `html-helper-mode-global-JSP-not-ASP' : non nil to make Emacs consider <% %> sequence as JSP blocks by default in html-helper-mode, set to nil in asp-html-helper-mode, set to t in jsp-html-helper-mode. Alter the behaviour locally by changing html-helper-mode-local-JSP-not-ASP value

Special command (not in menu - default bound to [f4]): attempts a smart narrowing to the current scripting block. Fails in client script containing server script sections.
key             binding
---             -------

C-c             Prefix Command
TAB             html-helper-indent-command
RET             newline-and-indent
ESC             Prefix Command
<f4>              html-script-toggle-narrow

Written by nelson@santafe.edu, http://www.santafe.edu/~nelson/
Mantained by lauri@eng.it, http:/www.gest.unipd.it/~saint/

Abbrev minor mode (indicator Abbrev):
Toggle Abbrev mode in the current buffer.
With argument ARG, turn abbrev mode on iff ARG is positive.
In Abbrev mode, inserting an abbreviation causes it to expand
and be replaced by its expansion.

Auto-Compression minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle automatic file compression and uncompression.
With prefix argument ARG, turn auto compression on if positive, else off.
Return the new status of auto compression (non-nil means on).

Auto-Fill minor mode (indicator Fill):
Toggle Auto Fill mode.
With arg, turn Auto Fill mode on if and only if arg is positive.
In Auto Fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond `current-fill-column'
automatically breaks the line at a previous space.

The value of `normal-auto-fill-function' specifies the function to use
for `auto-fill-function' when turning Auto Fill mode on.