Re: emacs24 X primary selection changes

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacs24 X primary selection changes
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:25:44 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, 4 January 2013 08:12:57 UTC+8, Bob Proulx  wrote:

> "The Problem" was loss of emacs keyboard interaction with the X Window
> primary selection cut buffer between v23 and v24.  Cutting with the
> mouse in some other X window application puts the text into the X
> Windows cut buffer also known as the primary selection.

Actually cut buffers and the primary selection are not the same thing. Cut
buffers are an older method of transferring text between applications, which
have been obsolete for decades, and for which support was removed in Emacs 24.
The primary selection is what you are used to using.

> For me these changes broke my X applications.  I guess I am not using
> any application that uses the clipboard.

To use the clipboard in any application, you generally need to do so
explicitly, either using the keyboard shortcuts for Copy and Paste, or using
menus.  For the primary selection, it is whatever was last highlighted by the
mouse.

>  For me the main X
> applications from which I cut text from are Xterm, Firefox, Chromium,
> other random programs but I will ignore Xterm from this discussion
> since it is a venerable old program.

For sure, Firefox and Chromium support the clipboard as well as primary.  Xterm
maybe not unless it is actually some other "wrapper" for xterm such as kterm or
gnome-terminal.