Re: Ruby and RubyOn Rails setup - Cannot enable indentation and snippets

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Ruby and RubyOn Rails setup - Cannot enable indentation and snippets
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:42:55 +0400

On 05.01.2013 9:30, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
Okay so I have removed emacs-starter-kit I have nothing but ruby-mode
from marmalade installed.

Wonderful. Please uninstall it.

Like I mentioned in one of the previous messages, ruby-mode from Marmalade has been reported to cause problems with indentation.

Emacs already has ruby-mode bundled.

And you can reinstall emacs-starter-kit packages (to be safe, better do it after you make sure ruby-mode is working), maybe except the Ruby one.

The outputs of the commands appear to work now but I have no line indenting.

Making completion list...
ruby-mode
You can run the command `eval-last-sexp' with C-x C-e
Mark set [2 times]
Entering debugger...
Auto-saving...done
ruby-mode
You can run the command `eval-last-sexp' with C-x C-e
ruby-indent-line
You can run the command `eval-last-sexp' with C-x C-e

Yep, we've already established the values of major-mode and indent-line-function. They are as they should be.

I don't understand why (find-library-name "ruby-mode") still signals error, but hopefully after you uninstall ruby-mode from Marmalade the problem goes away, so we won't have to dig deeper.