Re: Disabling VHDL template

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Disabling VHDL template
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 16:33:41 -0500

On 1/9/2013 2:13 PM, ryan wrote:
Hello,

I just installed ghdl on my centos machine, and I am trying to use
emacs to write vhdl.  However, every time I use a key word like 'use'
or 'entity' emacs goes into some kind of template mode.  I did some
reading on the emacs FAQ, and figured I should be able to disable it
by removing some lines in the .emacs file.  However, the only .emacs
file i can find is in root's directory, and it doesn't seem to
contain anything related to templates (it is almost bare).  I can't
find anything else on Google either, so I am pretty lost at this
point.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for disabling the vhdl
templates?

My guess is that there's some global file in the emacs tree that sets files with the .vhdl extension to a vhdl mode.

The Linux install is often in /usr/share/emacs.

Alternatively, perhaps you can override it.  Something like (untested):

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(
                ("\\.vhdl$"     . fundamental-mode)
                ) auto-mode-alist))

But, I have to say, I found vhdl mode to be a real time saver.