RE: messages buffer history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: messages buffer history
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:24:47 -0800

> > Emacs already tracks this information, no need to add hooks.
> > List of directory returned is in reverse chronological order.
>
> How would I insert the returned list into a buffer?

And that list is only a snapshot taken at one moment.

I think the OP wanted a log, with the log being updated each time a dir is
accessed, so that it always accurately reflects the access history.

Hence the use of a hook.  That's what hooks are for.

You can use another kind of procedural attachment, or create another kind of
trigger, or even use a timer (modulo some delay in reflection).

But some such mechanism is called for if you want to attach/couple an access
event to log output.