Re: Weird behavior of emacs: I can't exit

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Weird behavior of emacs: I can't exit
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:17:45 +0800

Santiago Mejia <santiagomejiar@gmail.com> writes:

> I have come to find that what is causing the problem was not ido.el,
> but a little add-on that keeps track of the frequency of my commands
> (keyfreq.el).
>
> Here is one copy of it, in case anyone has a chance to look at it and
> explain me what is going on: https://github.com/dacap/keyfreq
>
> S.
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Santiago Mejia
> <santiagomejiar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I don't understand why, but I can't quit emacs. When I do C-x C-c,
>     emacs just says:
>
>     (No files need saving))
>     setq: End of file during parsing
>
>     I need to kill emacs in order to quit.
>
>     I suspect that it might be a problem with ido, which I was using
>     when this problem started. I have deactivated ido in my .emacs,
>     but now the problem persists.
>
>     Any ideas of what can be causing this bug?
>
>     S.

It's bound to be a function added to "kill-emacs-hook", and sure enough
keyfreq does add the function `keyfreq-autosave--do'. The particular
error probably comes from an accidentally-deleted closing parenthesis,
ie somewhere there's a line that looks like this:

(setq var some-value

with no paren at the end. There's no setq in keyfreq-autosave--do or its
immediate callees, but I'd say that's guaranteed to be the problem
somewhere down the line.