Re: emacs metadata editor for (mostly) scientific pdf's

From: Daimrod
Subject: Re: emacs metadata editor for (mostly) scientific pdf's
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:14:08 +0100

Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> I wonder whether anybody has tried or would like to try to adapt dired
> to manage pdf's metadata.
>
> Namely, I have a collection of files, organized in a simple directory
> structure by topic (as "algebra", "combinatorics", ...), which mostly
> works for me.
>
> I have a few tools (pdfmeat http://code.google.com/p/pdfmeat/, pdftk)
> that I may want to use on the files.
>
> The main problem is: instead of mode, owner, size, date I would rather
> like to see (and possibly edit) some fields from the file's metadata
> (eg. author, title) in addition to the filename.
>
> There is no way I could write this, but I'd be happy to fiddle around a
> little...

Do you know any tools usable from the command line to extract this
information?

Though I don't know how easy it is to customize the attributes show by
dired, I think it wouldn't be difficult to add a shortcut to display
some information about specific files in another buffer or via `message'.

--
Daimrod/Greg