Re: emacs metadata editor for (mostly) scientific pdf's

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: emacs metadata editor for (mostly) scientific pdf's
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:22:42 +0100

Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:

> Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I wonder whether anybody has tried or would like to try to adapt dired
>> to manage pdf's metadata.
>>
>> Namely, I have a collection of files, organized in a simple directory
>> structure by topic (as "algebra", "combinatorics", ...), which mostly
>> works for me.
>>
>> I have a few tools (pdfmeat http://code.google.com/p/pdfmeat/, pdftk)
>> that I may want to use on the files.
>>
>> The main problem is: instead of mode, owner, size, date I would rather
>> like to see (and possibly edit) some fields from the file's metadata
>> (eg. author, title) in addition to the filename.
>>
>> There is no way I could write this, but I'd be happy to fiddle around a
>> little...
>
> Do you know any tools usable from the command line to extract this
> information?

as I wrote above: pdfmeat from http://code.google.com/p/pdfmeat/

    pdfmeat.py --alone --inject myfile.pdf

extracts some text from myfile.pdf, searches google scholar to find a
match, injects it into the metadata section of myfile.pdf.  Of course it
makes mistakes sometimes.

    pdftk myfile.pdf dump_data

lists just its info fields, while

    pdfinfo -meta myfile.pdf

lists info fields (Title, Subject, ... PDF version) and XMP stream
(Metadata).  Example below, where pdfmeat was used to inject the info
fields and the XMP stream.

> Though I don't know how easy it is to customize the attributes show by
> dired, I think it wouldn't be difficult to add a shortcut to display
> some information about specific files in another buffer or via
> `message'.

Well, the main point is being able to edit at least Author, Title, Year
easily.  (Because pdfmeat makes mistakes) I guess the reason that
pdfmeat really writes into the XMP stream is that the infofields are
somewhat restricted.  Therefore, it might be best to be able to connect
with the bibtex-mode...

Martin

pdfinfo -meta Hu\,Yang\;\ 2004\;\ Some\ irreducible\ representations\ of\
Brauer\'s\ centralizer\ algebras.pdf
Title:          Some irreducible representations of Brauer's centralizer
algebras