Re: How to remove the window separator line ?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: How to remove the window separator line ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:02:00 +0100

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:27:40 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:35:41 +0100
>>
>> Maybe you can't remove it, but from reading the Display Tables nodes in
>> the Elisp manual, it seems like you should be able to effectively hide
>> it, e.g. by making it display as a zero-width space:
>>
>> (set-display-table-slot standard-display-table
>>                         'vertical-border (make-glyph-code 8203))
>>
>> However, this does not change the vertical border on a graphical Emacs,
>> only on a non-window-system display (actually, it doesn't work with
>> zero-width space, I guess because the codepoint is too high; it does
>> work with 160 (no-break space)).  This difference is not documented in
>> this node, which is the only place in the Elisp manual that refers to
>> vertical-border.  Is this a doc bug?
>
> The GUI display doesn't use the display table for the border, it draws
> the border directly as a line of certain thickness.

So I guess it is a doc bug.  (To correct what I wrote above: the above
sexp doesn't change vertical border between side-by-side windows on
non-window-system displays either; it changes just the glyph displayed
on the vertical border.  Moreover, the zero-width space codepoint (8203)
is fine, just the glyph is (obviously) invisible.)

Steve Berman