Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:51:55 +0100

Hello,

I'm annoyed by the following problem:

- Everything (see http://www.voidtools.com/) apparently requires to run as an
  administrator on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 -- I did not have any problem at all
  under Windows XP

- Emacs can't communicate with it (to display the locate results, in Helm, for
  example) if it's not running as well as an administrator...

So, for the last few days, I'm running both programs as an administrator.

But that brings the following big inconvenients:

- I need to confirm, at every launch of Emacs, that I'm OK for it to run as an
  admin (User Account Control, UAC prompt)

- Files created under Emacs are now owned, by default, by "Adminstrators"

- When Emacs crashes, GDB can't connect to the process -- unless, I guess, if
  my terminal is running as well as an adminstrator

- and so on...

I guess I'm not the only one using Emacs and Everything on a recent Windows
platform. How did you solve this dilemna?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban