Re: Changing Terminal (-nw) Base Colors

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Changing Terminal (-nw) Base Colors
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:24:54 -0500

Burton Samograd <burton@samograd.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I run emacs in -nw mode on a black (-rv) terminal, some of the
> default text colors are very difficult to read, mostly in the blue
> range.  In certain cases I can modify a the individual color value, such
> as in the eshell prompt, but I would like to perform a global
> modification of the 'dark blue' color to be, say, bright yellow.
>
> I build emacs from sources so if this has to be done in the C sources I
> am fine with that.  I've tried (briefly) looking for a table mapping these
> colors to curses colors but have had no luck.  Of course, doing the
> remapping from elisp would be even better.
>
> I've heard of but never used 'color themes' for emacs.  Would these
> help solve this problem?

If blue is unreadable in your terminal under Emacs,
then it's also unreadable when you do a color ls from the command line.

The point is, there are more programs than Emacs that use color in a
terminal window.  I suggest you fix the colors, not change Emacs.

If you're running xterm/rxvt there are x resources you can use:

!XTerm*color4:     Blue
XTerm*color4:     cornflowerBlue

you may want to change color12 to turquoise.

I know I did.

--
Dan Espen