RE: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary t

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary tokeep manually turning on/off?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 05:58:53 -0800

> Sometimes you WANT auto-filling...sometimes you DO NOT.
> e.g. When I am writing text like a comment in a program, I
> appreciate auto-filling.
>
> When I want to squeeze as much in a single line in a computer
> program instruction as possible, it gets in the way.
>
> What is easiest way to have it both ways?  Must people keep
> turning it on and off?

1. You can create a toggle command that turns it on/off, and bind it to a quick
key.

2. You can use `C-x f N', where N is a large number (e.g. 999).  This, in
effect, turn it off.  Then `C-x f M', where M is your usual value of
`fill-column' (e.g. 70).

3. You can have it turned off by default in certain modes.  From your example,
it sounds like maybe the buffers (modes) where you type "computer program
instructions" should have it turned off by default.

Personally, I typically leave it on.  But in code I sometimes change the fill
column temporarily if I want longer comments in a particular location or file.