Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: IZarc problem extracting emacs-24.2.tar.xz
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 21:03:23 -0500

>>> I noticed that some files were missing. For instance,
>>> .../etc/{DOC,DOC-X} were not extracted.
>> These files are not source code files or needed to build GNU Emacs so
>> they are not included in the sources archive.
> Your comment is correct and irrelevant.

It's quite relevant: those files are not part of the tarball, so it's not
a bug in IZArc that those files "are not extracted" (I still
recommend you stay away from IZArc, since it is proprietary software).
You can use djtarnt among many other Free Software alternatives.

> Those files are needed when using Emacs;

And they're created from the content of the tarball.

> and few users of Emacs on Windows will want to build Emacs anyway.

But I expect that most/all those who download and extract
emacs-24.2.tar.xz will want to build Emacs, since there's not much else
they can do with it.

> There is something quite wrong with IZArc.

Indeed: it is proprietary.

        Stefan