Re: CLASH_DETECTION option in configure

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: CLASH_DETECTION option in configure
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 16:36:59 -0700

rh wrote:
> It seems like an antiquated feature and it doesn't make sense to
> have it enabled by default. Since version control systems are every
> where now I can't see why anyone would want or use this feature.
> What's the use case?

If you as a single user try to edit a file from two different
terminals then it will be detected and a collision avoided.  I often
run into cases where emacs notifies me that I am already editing a
file in another terminal.  The use case is far from antiquated and has
nothing to do with version control.  Because unintended data loss can
result if it were disabled the feature is enabld by default.

I will turn the same question around on you.  Why would you ever want
to disable this feature?  Why is it causing you difficulty?  If as you
say you would never hit this issue then you should also by that same
reasoning never know it is there either.

Bob