Re: Size and length limits for Emacs primitive types and etc data?

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Size and length limits for Emacs primitive types and etc data?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:17:47 +0200

On 2013-02-05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:41:55 +0200
>>
>> In my original post I can't analyse how many memory take hash tables...
>
> Depends on the size of the table, obviously.

I didn't visit CS courses. Does hash table take more then Coef*N memory space
from N keys? Like N*log_2(N) or similar?

Just looking to

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_table

shown that there are exist implementations with N^2 memory requirement...

>> And also it is interesting to know how much key-value pairs can hold hash
>> table.
>
> most-positive-fixnum, I guess.  (Why is that interesting?)

I am start implementing ASN1 parser in Elisp. ASN1 data format designed to
store any theoretically possible data length (2^128 bytes...). But any
implementation have memory limits. I want to push this limits up to Elisp
abilities and document this in docs... So need concrete numbers...

--
Best regards!