Re: Size and length limits for Emacs primitive types and etc data?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Size and length limits for Emacs primitive types and etc data?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:46:01 -0500

> shown that there are exist implementations with N^2 memory requirement...

I don't see any obvious N^2 memory use in that page.
All normal implementations I know have a memory use of O(N).
Anything different is probably limited to very special application areas
(perfect hashing, maybe?).

The way hash tables work in the current Emacs implementation is
with a table of size N containing (upto) N objects (and N pointers used
to reference the next element in a chain), plus a bucket table of size
(N / rehash-threshold).

        Stefan