Re: Need advice for naming practice for namespaces in Elisp.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Need advice for naming practice for namespaces in Elisp.
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:59:01 -0500

> I read very small amount of elisp code and found practice to put '->'
> in the name of elisp var/func:

I use -> sometimes, typically for access to a struct's fields.
This comes from my learning lispy languages via Scheme.

> Also I search for dot in names:

I (strongly) recommend against the use of "." in symbols.
"(erc-response.sender)" could also be interpreted as "(erc-response
. sender)" and historically Elisp has not been very good at resolving
this ambiguity in a reliable way.

> and for colon:

Colon is typically used in a Common-Lisp way, to separate the "module
name" from the specific definition.

> Seems that official sources don't often use special marker to separate
> package name and command and some times uses '->', ':' and '.'

Common usage is to use "-".

        Stefan